Sunday, December 8, 2013

Dazzling dose of Democracy!!


Super Sunday today, and what a remarkable feat for our nation's democracy...

Governance and public policy have been topics close to my heart ever since I was a kid. My favourite reads are 'First among the Equals' & 'Yes Minister!' and I love watching 'The West Wing' as much as I love watching 'Friends'...

Having grown up in a family full of academicians with strong political leanings, I have listened to the stories of history making decisions, the other side of the emergency, the intricacies of the Indo China war, the rhetoric for poverty elimination and what not!

But the most amazing thing was that though our family had borne the brunt of the Partition pretty close, I never heard my Dad (who lost his own during the '47 riots) or my uncles (who were one of the few left alive in that infamous train full of bodies), talk anything about the polity decision of bifurcating the nation. All I learnt from them was that 'We should build our own destiny', and oh did they not do the same... in an amazingly spectacular way too.

Were they heroes or mere escapists, I never contemplated... in retrospect however, I do think that the first generation of us 'Refugees' had so much to build in their own personal lives that building the nation had to take a backseat for them. And honestly, there weren't any options!!

My elder brother must have felt the same, so in that age gloriously known as the 'troubled teens', when we were living a merely 200 odd miles from a falling down contentious building, while the other 12-13 year olds chose to enjoy the month long forced 'pseudo' winter vacation, my brother chose the option. And from that day onwards, our family became a truly democratic one with at least 2 different approaches being discussed on the dinner table. My brother, he is a real hero 'cos he made a choice.

I still won't. And from just being a sissy escapist in my pre-teens to a cynic now in my mid-thirties, I have never truly broken out from the inherent servitude of an enslaved mind. I used to and still believe that business and by extension of its definition politics has always been a family thing. And every passing year with the introduction of one scion of a family after another (and this is across party lines), my belief got affirmed.

And by the way, the return of the so called 'Mentor' of my previous organization back into executive decision making, with 'sonnyboy' in tow, has proven me so right when it comes to business. But about that, some other time. 

So, today when it was the day of election results, I did what most of us choose to do. Grab a Pizza and popcorn, sit in front of the television and feel 'involved' in the process. And when there was some sort of a history being made in our nation's capital today, I was discussing with my friends about what is going to happen next... you know, in my circles I am some sort of a political strategy guru!

But is this actually an involvement?

I mean, I won't change my leanings, to be very honest, but was it right on my part to be 'involved' in the way I did today.

You would find so many people of our generation, the original Gen X - the 90s Teens, talking about the young ones now and criticizing their lack of interest in national issues. Blaming them to be so self occupied, unlike people from our times... but is it not their actual involvement in the process that has brought about a significant change in the way the nation will be seeing governance now? And what have we done apart from having popcorn and analyzing the results?

Honestly, I felt like a fool today. Rather like those crazy cricket fans who would cry if Kambli cries and die if Sachin gets out on 99. It was a rollercoaster result session no doubt and wonderful entertainment for the day.


But is that what democracy, the teachings of my elders, the belief of my parents and the courage to make a choice of my brother, has been reduced to for me... entertainment... I ask myself today!!

6 comments:

  1. Neither I have a family full of academicians nor did they run away in the partition...basically I definitely can't relate to all that...but yes I from this generation where we celebrate bcoz we get an off on the elections day...we go to vote just so that we can put up a status with a pic of our inked finger on fb...n then we say that this country needs a change n complaint about all the corruption n stuff! So yes very few of us actually make a choice...for us democracy is how free you are to put up a status on fb...nothing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a refreshing perspective you have Ankita... brings a smile to the face :)
      Point to ponder, are we free to put up a status..ask the 2 Mumbai gals who were arrested for doing exactly the same ;)

      Delete
    2. Actually even I was thinking of those 2 girls...so basically there is not even virtual democracy...but apparently India is the biggest democracy in the world!

      Delete
    3. Well, that's the irony of it I suppose!!

      Delete
  2. I was an idealist of my times too. And like many others, I converted to a cynic long back. Being an Indian, it is hard to ignore that vote banks in this country are built on large sections of society that are well-defined by religion, community feelings such as hatred, and monetary gains of a single group. We, inadvertently, have to adapt to a govt that these groups select, and consequently, we are ruled by the biases and beliefs of these groups. However, a single vote from each youth in this vast country can make the ultimate difference. If you look at it practically, the modern youth of India can be the biggest 'well-defined section' and consequently, the biggest vote bank. And Atighumakkad, the loss of our ideals hurt, but maybe its time we looked at politics as a means to an end, namely, progress, and not as an entity that incorporates idealism and morality. These may have been the need of the hour back in our times, but now its cold and calculating strategies. But anything that brings progress, I am for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. phew… there is fire in the blood for sure. honestly, I didn't expect such solid comments on this piece… too heavy :)
      But then, I totally agree with what you have said here Navanwita… and am going to join the bandwagon… only I am gunning to become the Governor of California a la Arnie ;)
      India can do without me :P

      Delete