Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Oh… for the love of Economics!!


When I was a kid, and yes - a looonggg loooonnnnngggg time ago, English & Economics were the two most important Es of my life. But, as luck and the ever expectant Indian society of the 90s would have it, I got hooked up with their evil sister Engineering.

Honestly, my Dad did make sense to my Saturn influenced Capri Moon 17 year old realistic mind, when he said...

"Eng & Eco are things you can follow as an interest all your life, you should plan to get into something more substantial career-wise"

And I did the same. Not that I didn't like it or anything, you know being blessed with a brilliant mind a la Sheldon Cooper, one often does not mind picking up anything. But, yes I did think it to be beneath me (again a la Sheldon) :D

But, much about that later sometime...

So, bugged up by the nagging arguments of an IT job, my chosen life partner, I gave it all up last year. In pursuit of the true love of my heart...

I wrote, I read, I watched movies, theatre, also danced a bit but the icing on the cake was that I patched up with my childhood sweetheart, the Elegant Economics!

From Harrod-Domar to Solow to understanding the intricacies of all things Keynesian, the feeling was somewhat like being reunited with your childhood love whom you had to leave behind as your Dad gets transferred to some other town.

Oh, the string of ruins of young beating hearts that your parents' transferrable jobs leave behind... letting them to manage with rock songs and bits of rhyming cute adolescent poetry. Of course, only until a look and a smile tugs again at your heartstrings, steers your poetry from the seemingly endless abyss of pathos to that wonderful feeling called romance, and makes you switch to love ballads with promises of 'forever and a day', alas till the next transfer...

To be very honest, I was kind of Kevinesque from 'The Wonder Years', but then much about that too later ;)

Anyway, I am back with Eco now and it sure feels like I am back in school. I am happy, carefree and even careless, confident and even cocky ... basically, I am Me, and you know 'Being Me', well that's something :)

And with her, out came all other friends from my late teens, hiding due to the dark dementor-ish shadows of 'you know who' in my life... Magical Maths, Sexy Stats, so aptly called as isn't it Stats that is the measure of sexiness in the other walks of life as well... ;), Groovy Graphs and even the Confounded Calculus are all there now, shouting, screaming, demanding my attention and even back slapping and stumping me all the time. 

Night outs, sleepovers, challenges, races, dares... oh life is so much fun

And am I loving it... a big hell yeah :D


10 comments:

  1. Magical Maths! Sexy Stats!.......BAKWASSS!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Anonymous.. (and I think I know you too ;) ) … but then that was just a poetic freedom I took there… :P
      The magic of maths I am not sure, but Stats sure is sexy :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Economics...my life line...I was in 9th when I decided to do economics...but little did I know that it'll come hand in hand with your "magical maths", "sexy stats" n ofcourse "compounded calculus"!...
    You just got hooked up with Engineering - her evil sister....I got hooked up with maths n calculus - her evil stepmother!!
    But eco is still fun..I mean one just has to make assumptions n test those assumptions n then come up with new assumptions...n if you can come up with a totally new insane assumption (which can never be true with the real rational world) then you win a nobel for it!
    So here I am presenting my assumptions in class discussions about some hi-fi keynesian or some economic funda paper as an economist...(ya apparently if you study economics honours for 3 years then ppl call you an economist...funny!!)
    So may be I will win a nobel one day...n if I do it'll definitely be in a collaboration with this engineer who studied more of Harrod Domar n Solow Model than I did...n now with cracking BAT in the top quartile he's also a BATman!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evil stepmother… good one Ankita ;)
      Btw its good to know that you dig Economics too… and I am sure that a day will come when you break the 'Insanity Barrier' to join the leagues of the Famas, Sens and the Shillers, Ceteris Paribus :P
      And then a new lot of Economists will spend their life trying to prove or disprove your hypothetical assumptions, while a new lot of students will spend their lives scolding you :D
      As for Mr Er BATman.. well, he will be honored to share the Nobel with you .. or should I say … will be gloating boastfully with a stupid permanent grin oh the face :)

      Delete
  4. I usually stay away from people like you...for me its malicious maths, severe stats, and confounded calculus :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more objectives but I'll refrain

      Delete
    2. I do seem to have touched some pretty unnerving nerves there :P
      Agreed then and thus no such malice in the posts to come :D
      And btw, calculus is confounded for me as well.. it was rather a li'l someone who told me that its basicall nothing but ' / ' … ;)

      Delete
  5. Calculus is ' / '!!! That is actually the only way to do calculus...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Ankita… calculus is '/' and after this its not even so confounded…
      they should call it ca/cu/us though, would make more sense ;)

      Delete