Monday, December 2, 2013

So kool!! … Seriously!!!… Wow!!!

'RSS Feed'... it struck me.... what was that?

I had heard of it some place, wasn't it the little irritant that slowed down my incoming mail or was it some kinda social charity type community meal provided by one pretty controversial body in our country :/

"...so the feed of this is way better than that other one", the jingle of her excited voice was ringing in my ears, but I was still stuck at, yes you know it, 'RSS Feed'...

Talking to these Gen X (or Y or Z or ß, π, ø!!!) people often leaves me feeling like a fool later. Actually, to salvage my own image, having masqueraded as a software guy for over a decade now, I can't admit ignorance in such areas. The computer is dumb so it can't tell, but these bloody whiz kids...

So I generally end up saying, 'Oh, is it? This is pretty kool' types...

To top it all, what I also do is observe such stuff and bring it to conversation… myself, can you believe that... some masochistic quirk of a Cancer ascendant, I suppose!!

Anyway, the other day I saw this amazing 2"x2" thingamajig that can be attached to a phone and it turns into a credit card swipe machine... I was like "Wooooo" !!

And as I told this to a kid in office, the excitement in his voice and the look on his face was just about going to make my day when he asked, '...so was it a PDA or a Smartphone?'

Damn, aren't they the same :(

I so felt like Calvin's dad, when I weighed my options and ruling in favor of one said

'Not a PDA dude, just an Android phone like yours!!', the wavering conviction in my voice strengthening with the look of awe on his face.... phew, close shave!!

"....so what we can do is that we can link the two together, to get the best of both things", that darling little chatterbox was still explaining stuff to me, and I wondered how our roles were totally reversed.

It was not very long ago when I told her about µ (mu - some optics thing in Physics... blech!!), and now for any doubts in µTorrent (or for that matter Whatsapp, Smartphone, FB, IG, Hashtag, Weebly, Blogspot...), I go rushing to her...

Or was it actually a long time, 9 odd years are a long time I suppose, shucks I am so outdated man :(

"...actually, the thing is that this is from Google, so it has got a better support than the other...", her voice trailing away as I 'Hmm..ed' & 'Seriously...ed' from my side, at the same time thanking her for mentioning the answer to all my prayers... Google!

Google, you are a lifesaver, my knight in a dashing Chrome theme, the support for my ageing self... or as they say now-a-days, you are my BFF :D

So, the very next morning, I scoured the soul of internet, a la Holmes with dear Goog being my trusted Watson and got to know what 'RSS Feed' was... finally!!

Confident, feeling young and in, I call her up and off the little sweetheart goes...

"... you know, I tethered my phone with my Dell and it was not the normal hotspot thing, its a Virtual Router Manager...."

'Tether', 'hotspot', 'Virtual something..', bamboozled, I cried out loud….

"Google my friend, where art thou!!"

11 comments:

  1. Love this post! I know exactly how it feels to be bazookaad by technology..however, I am an arts person, and you are well supposed to know this stuff...you can't be forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's the bane of being me, I say :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Software engineer n your BFF is Google!!!
    This was a superb post....I am sure it was an achievement for her to have routed the LAN internet from the laptop to the Android n ipad to enjoy wifi!
    Anyway....not that I know much about technology n stuff...its so complicated..I have no clue how ppl even manage these stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, I still don't know what an RSS feed is :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rich Site Summary - When you write a new blog entry it gets automatically available to other sites...like if you type in google or something...that happens because of RSS feed!
    Not being very good at technology this is all I can explain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only one thing to say to Dear Ankita here…
      …. "Look, who is talking" :P

      Delete
  6. Hahahhaa.. Ghumakkad, I thought after all this you will explain was RSS feeds are..since you did not, we still do not know if you got it :P
    Thanks Ankita!
    Psst: I'm commenting as the author of my in-progress blog that I totally forgot about..You know me better as Veronika ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Veronika!
      RSS Feeds are explained by the li'l bamboozler herself here :)

      And btw, you would know me better as SSG I suppose ;)

      Delete
  7. In your words I also "bamboozle" my father when he gets stuck with his technical apps - I will tell him to read this post and make google his best friend or "BFF" just like you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I would admit that this virtual router manager is new for me too. I am hearing it for the first time.
      So I googled it and found out that it is actually a cool thing. So thank you Ati Ghumakad for this new thing. Now I can save up some of my pocket money from buying internet data packs.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mannu for your wonderful comments.. and I am sure that your Dad's gonna love Google.. I do ;)
      And yeah, this router thingy is pretty kool.. the best part, it seems you can avid detection when using it on a shared network :D

      Delete